INCREASE: Whole, unprocessed foods from quality sources.
- Build your meal around high quality, lean PROTEIN, healthy FATS, and colorful, non-starchy VEGGIES.
- Pick a Protein: Chicken, turkey, lean beef, eggs, pork, lamb, fish, tuna, salmon, shrimp, wild game, organ meats.
- Keywords: Grass-fed/finished, wild-caught, hormone free, nitrate free, organic, free-range/pastured, antibiotic/hormone free. You eat what they ate! This includes animal products like meat, fish, eggs, dairy.
- Get enough Protein. Daily between 0.8-1.2 grams of protein x ideal weight, depending on size & activity level.
Fill your plate with veggies!
• Buy organic, if available. Shop at the farmer’s market, or grow your own.
• Avoid the “Dirty Dozen” – ex. greens, peppers, berries – the most pesticide-laden or high-risk produce.
• Clean Your Produce – thoroughly wash/rinse produce (soak in vinegar) to help clean off the pesticides.
- Choose real food first. May supplement with quality protein powder (ex. Bombers Blend – sold at gym)
- Drink your water. Daily amount should be about 67% of your body weight, or more, depending on how active you are or temperature. Your urine should be fairly clear. Try to drink water before a meal.
CUT OUT: All forms of sugar, soy, wheat, grain, corn, starch, and artificial ingredients.
- These are hidden in many types of food – mostly packaged and processed foods.
- Include, but are not limited to:
• Cereal, granola, bread, buns, bagels, pasta, oatmeal, tortillas, rice, corn, chips, crackers, cookies, etc.
• Pop – Diet or regular
• All forms of Sugar – ex. honey, agave nectar, raw sugar, corn syrup, fructose
• Sugary fruit – ex. bananas, grapes, mango, raisins, dates, and dried fruits
• Soy and tofu, including soy milk
• Sugar-free or low-fat products
• Processed foods – ex. vegetable oils, margarine, commercial salad dressings, peanut butter, milk
• Alcohol (beer/wine/liquor)
• Artificial ingredients, fillers, emulsifiers or ingredients you cannot pronounce.
- Ex: Soy lecithin, carrageenan, MSG (monosodium glutamate), food dyes, sodium nitrate/nitrite, high fructose corn syrup, sulfur dioxide, potassium bromate, malodextrin, modified food starch
- Products labeled gluten-free/vegan, etc. These are products, not real food.
- Healthy fats: Butter, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil
- Nuts/seeds/ butter: Raw or roasted nuts, try unsalted (ex. almonds, walnuts, pistachios, macadamia, cashews) or unsweetened, natural nut butters.
- Fruits: stick to berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries)
- Dairy: cheese, cottage cheese, plain Greek yogurt (full fat, not flavored, from organic & non-hormone sources)
- Starchy vegetables – ex. sweet potatoes, carrots, squash
- Beans / lentils