BRINE: The trick to juicy chicken fajitas is brining the chicken in saltwater prior to baking. It’s such a simple trick but it makes a big difference in taste, texture, and tenderness of the chicken.
- 4 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 1/4 pounds organic, free-range, boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled + smashed with the side of a knife
- 1 Tbsp. black peppercorns
VEGGIES + SEASONING:
- 2 medium bell peppers (any color), cut into thin strips
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 8–10 wedges
- 3 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 lime
- Black pepper, to taste
Iceberg or butter lettuce
Cheese, grass-fed and organic
- In a large bowl, combine the water and salt, stirring until dissolved.
- Add the chicken breasts, garlic, and peppercorns. Let chicken brine for 30 minutes, uncovered, at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a 17 X 12-inch rimmed baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Remove the chicken from the brine, rinse under cold water, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Slice into 1/2-inch thick strips and add to a large bowl. If the chicken breast is thick, cut in half lengthwise, and then slice into strips.
- To the chicken, add bell peppers and onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the avocado oil, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken and veggies, and toss with tongs until fully coated.
- Bake, uncovered, for 18-25 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through and vegetables are tender. Stir once halfway.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and squeeze fresh lime juice over the chicken mixture. Season with more salt to taste if needed.
- Serve in a lettuce cup with desired toppings of choice.
Courtesy of Little Broken